There are few things I love more than sushi night. I’ve always wanted to try to make my own sushi, but the idea of rolling rice, fish and all the other yummy stuffing into a neat, beautiful ball like they do in my favorite restaurants didn’t sound so fun. In case you didn’t know this about me, I’m not the most coordinated person in the world.
Then, one of my favorite health food bloggers Fit Men Cook posted a photo on Instagram of his sushi bowls. I kicked myself a little for not thinking of it first, but then decided to give it a try! Boy was I glad I did! I made them for my husband and my best friend and they both approved.
- Filet of your favorite sushi fish (salmon and tuna are most popular, I used salmon) It is important here to make sure you get a good quality fish, especially since you are eating it raw. I got sushi grade fish from Whole Foods, a little pricey, but way better than getting sick from bad sushi! I just went ahead and got a pound of the fish, which made 5 sushi bowls
- One red bell pepper
- Bunch of green onions
- Diced avocado
- Low sodium sauce
- Sriracha, to taste
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Brown rice (1 cup for 2 bowls)
- Cook brown rice as per package instructions
- While the rice is cooking, chop up your veggies and fish. I cut the fish into small bite sized pieces.
- Toss the fish in some soy sauce for extra flavor.
- Once the rice is cooked, separate it out into bowls. Add your veggies and fish. Then top with a little extra soy sauce, a dash of sriracha and sesame seeds.
- Enjoy! 🙂
These are definitely a favorite, and I’ll make them again!